11 January 2012

Bake 52: Bran Muffins

A couple of weeks ago I decided to join an online baking group... "Bake 52".   The idea is that for the year the group of us bake one recipe a week.  We then each post about the recipe.  So, on your assigned week, you get to pick the recipe that everyone will bake along with you, and post the recipe on your blog.
The cookbook we're using:

I didn't sign-up soon enough, so I missed the first week (Quiche), so here I am with week 2:  Bran Muffins.


I was a little skeptical about how these muffins would turn out.  When I think of bran I think of dry and heavy.  But I was pleasantly surprised.


When I think of bran I also automatically think they'd be really healthy, but the recipe has brown sugar, butter and plain yogurt in it, so not really "low-fat".


The recipe called for raisins, but mentioned that dried cranberries or cherries could be substituted.  So I went with craisins.


I really liked these muffins, I'll make them again.  My kids liked them too.  In fact I think these could be Bakery worthy with one minor change.  I'd leave out the craisins or raisins or dried fruit in any variety, and add some lightly sweetened cream cheese before baking.  Heavenly.  Wish I had thought to do this before... oh well, next time.


For the complete recipe, check it out here.

3 comments:

Talesha said...

I like the idea of adding cream cheese, yummy!

Amanda said...

I like the cream cheese idea too! I will add cream cheese to practically anything though! Great post!

Jen said...

Welcome to our group!! I love that cream cheese idea, that would be so yummy!