21 February 2011

rumplestiltskin week 2

I'm late in posting this. Oh well.

I wanted to try this recipe from the Rachael Ray magazine... Lemon Crepes. Every time I make crepes I think about how fun and cool it would be to have a crepe pan. We don't actually have them that often though, but maybe we would if we had the special pan?



They were pretty good. I wasn't too wild about the cornmeal in the crepes, definitely gave them more texture. I might try them again just using flour instead of the corn meal, I think they'd probably work fine. The lemon filling was yummy. I think next time I'll just do a regular crepe recipe. Here's the recipe. Give it a try. Let me know what you think.

Lemon Crepes

(Basic Batter)
In a bowl, whisk together:
1 c flour
1 Tbls plus 1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp salt

Beat in until smooth:
1 c milk
3 beaten eggs
5 Tbls melted butter
1 Tbls vegetable oil

To this add:

1/2 cup white cornmeal (I had yellow, so that's what I used)
2 Tbls half-and-half
6 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
1/4 c powdered sugar
grated peel and juice of 1 lemon
3/4 c heavy cream, chilled
3 Tbls butter, melted

Combine the batter, cornmeal and half-andhalf. In another large bowl, beat the cream cheese, powdered sugar and lemon peel until fluffy. Beat in the lemon juice.

Using an electric mixer, beat the heavy cream until soft peaks form. Fold into the cream cheese mixture and rerfigerate.

Preheat a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Grease the pan with some butter. Add 2 tbls of the cornmeal batter and, tilting and rotating the pan, form a thin crepe. Cook until golden, 1 minute; flip and cook for about 15 seconds. Repeat with the remaining cornmeal batter and butter.

Arrange the crepes on a work surface and spread some of the cream cheese mixture on each one. Fold the crepes in half, then fold in half again to form a fan. Dust with more powdered sugar. Serve with fruit.



My good friends' little boy had a birthday last week. Number 2! I had been wanting to make one of these for a long time, but have just never gotten around to it. So, I finally had the perfect excuse.




Cozy Car Caddy. On the outside:



And it folds up into this:



Found the great tutorial here. I'm planning on making a bunch more of these for some family with little boys, and another friend whose little boy will have a birthday in April. And of course Silas in July... plenty of time for that one. Now I just need to locate enough pairs of jeans that I can cut apart.


The last project I got to this week were some pants for Silas... or maybe I should say some testing of patterns for pants for Silas. I almost hesitate to post the pictures, since I'm not sure that he'll ever wear either pair, but it'll give you a good laugh, so I'll post away...

The first pair are some knee patch pants. I drafted the pattern from this blog post, but I did it a LONG time ago, so I knew that by now they would be to short, which they are. I think the knee patches are too big, and the size in general is just a little too baggy. But, at least I know what I would change for next time.

Go ahead. Laugh.





And the second pair. The tutorial for these is here. We like to fondly call these his Greg Brady pants. Try not to be jealous!





I think I'll try these again, with a few adjustments. And I'm thinking I need to get my hands on some old Brady Bunch episodes. Maybe if I start watching them with Silas now, I could be half way done with a Halloween costume!

1 comment:

Katie S said...

Oh my. Thanks for the laugh. I think the Greg Brady pants are my favorite. Everyone needs a pair. Silas was a great model, by the way.