11 February 2011

the rumpelstiltskin challenge

Found this challenge the other week while stuck indoors with all the snow. Sounds groovy, and I think I'll give it a whirl. I know, I know, I'm great with finding these "challenges" or sew-alongs, but I'm not so great with following through... at least not with posting pictures of what I do with those challenges or sew-alongs. But, it's a new year, so we'll see how it goes this time. I LOVE the idea of using stuff I have. Course I know that I won't limit myself to only stuff that I have, cause I've got so many projects in my head that I've promised to do for people, but I'm lacking a few items to make it a reality. With that being said, I still hope to use a lot of the stuff that I have, as much as possible. So, here's my first report...


I've decided that although I'm sure that a lot of the stash I'll be trying to get through will be sewing stuff, but I've also recently tried to organize the pages and pages of recipes that I've torn out or copied down from magazines, blogs, etc. Seems like the pile grows and grows, but my desire to work through it doesn't. So, some of my stash burning, will be working my way through collected recipes to see if they're keepable or not. So my two entries for this week have to do with "new" recipes that I've had for who-knows-how-long.

Growing-up we had coffee cake for breakfast frequently, so I really LOVE coffee cake. I have a couple of recipes that I really like, but it's always fun to try a new one.

Sour Cream Coffee Cake from Taste of Home magazine. The submitter claimed that it was a very moist cake, and she was right. It was very moist, and had the traditional cinnamon/sugar ribbon in the middle, and surprisingly was a little too sweet... which is saying a lot coming from someone who's favorite part of the meal is the dessert. I think if the recipe were altered a bit, less sugar, then it would be really good.



Chocolate Truffle Pie from Kraft Food and Family magazine. (tried to get the link for this one, but it wouldn't work, so if you want to try it, search Kraft Foods website and you'll find it.) We tried this the other night when the missionaries were over for dinner. It was just okay. I threw the recipe away, I wouldn't make it again. If you want a really AMAZING rich, chocolate cake, make this one. You won't be disappointed, and neither will anyone else you might happen to be nice enough to share it with. It's worth the time and ingredients... you'll be looking for excuses to make it again and again!

No comments: