03 April 2012

Little Things to Sew: explorer vest




This month we could choose between the explorer vest or the red riding hood.  Last year in preschool I made red riding hoods for all the little girls, and a "wolf hood" for Silas.  I was afraid that Hazel might feel left out, so I made her a red riding hood also.  It wasn't this red riding hood that I made, but since we already own a red hood, I figured we could use an explorer vest.  And so far, it's gotten good use.



It was a really easy pattern, and came together really quickly.  Silas sat right next to me while I made my bias tape for the arm openings, sewed it on, and then did the buttons and holes.  He kept saying, "This sure is taking a LONG time."


He wore it for the rest of the day.  And almost slept in it.


I did the bellowed pocket.  I had never done one of these before.  It took a little more time, but really adds to the vest.  He loves being able to fit more stuff in those pockets.


The pockets are opposite... the pocket on the back is from the green twill, with the dinosaur fabric as the flap and the "bellow".

The pockets on the front are from the dinosaur fabric with the green twill as the flaps and "bellows".


Sometimes little explorers are overwhelmed with choices.  What to explore next?  (Yep, his shorts are on backwards.  I pointed this out to him, and he said he liked it that way.  What do you do?)

6 comments:

The Lady of the House said...

I looked at the first picture and it took until the second picture before I recognized it was Silas! He's gotten so big and his hair is SO dark!

We miss the Bills family!

Jill

P.S. Would there be anyway you could part (or give me a copy) of the scripture tote pattern? I'd love to make it for some friends here.
P.P.S. I was called to primary president last week and all I can think about is how you seemed to handle it with such grace, poise, and imagination.

Pray for me. I feel so inadequate.

Amanda said...

That is so adorable! What a lucky boy. I love that his shorts are on backwards because he liked it. That is something that would happen around here too.

Grandma G said...

What a cute vest (and its model)! Great job on the pockets... and I love the shorts! ;)

SarahB said...

How cute! Love the green twill and the fun dinosaur print!

Jessica said...

WoW! this is one of my faves, your little man looks so handsome!!

Victoria said...

Awww, I love it. That dino fabric is just perfect for the job!